- author: Amrita Biswas
TouchBistro is the a highly popular iPad POS system and payment solution for restaurants used in over 100 countries. The company was founded in 2010 by a group of passionate restaurant industry enthusiasts looking to enhance the service industry with groundbreaking technology. As the winner of multiple awards, it’s clear that TouchBistro is keeping true to its original goal.
Plans & Pricing
TouchBistro offers pricing plans that fit every venue’s unique needs. With flexible plans and low monthly licensing fees starting at $69 a month, it’s easy to find the plan that’s right for your business.
All software plans include a robust roster of features, including payment processing and integrations, inventory management, staff management, tableside ordering, free and easy product updates, 24/7/365 customer support, to name a few.
Additionally, TouchBistro offers a free trial for everyone looking to try out the software before investing in it. They can run the demo on your iPad, or if you don’t have one, you can always book a live demonstration with the TouchBistro team.
This pricing plan includes 1 license meaning you’ll have 1 iPad running the software. You’ll still have as many users as you like. The plan costs $69 a month billed annually.
This plan costs $129 per month (billed annually) for 2 licenses or 2 iPads running the software.
The team plan includes a package of 3- 5 software licenses. It costs $249 per month billed annually.
This plan is probably the best option for larger teams and networks of restaurants as it offers unlimited software licenses for $349/mo (billed annually).
If you are looking for hardware, you’ll get a bundle of everything you need from the iPad stand to a cash box and a printer for a starting price of $44 per month (based on 0% interest over a 3-year term). Do note that you’ll have to pay an additional set up fee of $200.
Features and Functionality
TouchBistro is more than just a mobile payment processing application. It covers nearly every aspect of running a restaurant business from staff to inventory to reporting.
Tableside ordering test
You don’t need us to tell you how fast things move in a restaurant. Apparently, the guys from TouchBistro have received the memo as well, because they have specifically designed a set of tableside ordering mechanics to both help your staff fulfill orders faster and upsell margin menu items while doing so. Your staff will see pop-up modifiers of what they can suggest to complement the initial order.
Floor plan & table management
TouchBistro allows you to design a customized restaurant floor plan, take orders by table, move parties around freely, and manage multiple sections of the restaurant with ease.
Reporting & analytics
You’ll be able to keep your finger on the pulse of the restaurant regardless of where you are at the moment and gain powerful insights. Check who is doing what, which items are running out of stock, how many guests are there at the moment, etc. all conveniently in the restaurant or on the road with a smartphone.
TouchBistro’s menu management system is designed specifically for restaurant service staff, with a host of smart features to make your menu ordering, prep and reporting process a masterpiece. Promote high-profit menu items with a completely customizable menu you can take tableside. Get detailed menu item descriptions, including allergy information or wine pairing suggestions, to tailor your guest experience.
TouchBistro has great functionality for managing activity of your employees, including the ability to create, edit, and set permissions by staff type, clock in and out, and track paid and unpaid breaks.
TouchBistro itself is compatible with any and all iPad models with the exception of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gen devices. Still, you’ll need other hardware to run your business, such as:
- Mac computer: If you have 6 or more iPads, this computer will be the heart of your business, storing the data and managing synchronization between all other devices. You can go for the iMac, Apple Mac Mini, or the Mac Pro.
- Wi-Fi: An AmpliFi HD Mesh Router should do the trick just fine, though any decent router will work as well.
- Printers: You’ll need an Impact printer for the kitchen, and a thermal printer to print receipts in front of the house.
Integrations & Add-ons
TouchBistro is integrated with many 3rd party apps like 7shifts for scheduling, Shogo for accounting, BarVision for inventory management, etc. The current total of available integrations is 6 apps. You can manually set them up from the TouchBistro app.
As for TouchBistro’s own add-ons, they are:
- Loyalty: This add-on offers a customer relationship management (CRM) and guest engagement platform with personalized marketing and multiple loyalty reward options.
- Online Ordering: Save on hefty commission fees with a proprietary online ordering link on your website, Instagram, or Facebook page. Send orders directly to the TouchBistro POS, offered at no additional cost.
- Reservations: Make the most of your capacity, exceed diner expectations, and apply report insights to drive your bottom line – all for a predictable fixed monthly fee.
- Kitchen Display System: This app is a handy solution for improving the workflow on the kitchen, turning the existing kitchen printer into an insights machine that shares a lot of intel on the orders.
- Self-Serve Kiosk: If you feel like letting the guests order themselves, this app should do the trick just fine.
Ease of Use
Setting everything up for the first time (especially all the hardware) may seem like a challenge, but you will have professional help to assist you every step of the way – from installation to training on the system for you and your staff.
That said, you probably won’t need any professional help with mastering the system as it is pretty straightforward and intuitive.
Pros & Cons
- Simple and intuitive
- Constantly updated and improved upon
- All features available from the box
- Unlimited users
- Award-winning customer support
- Few integrations
- Slightly more expensive than the competition
- The trial version is for iPads only
TouchBistro has won awards for a serveral reasons, with their outstanding support team being one of them. It manages to combine years of restaurant experience with some of the most advanced communications-oriented tech on the market into a 24/7/365 troubleshooting machine.
Phone SupportSpecialists are available via phone days, nights, weekends, and holidays.
Video TutorialsIf you'd like to fix a simple issue on your own, there are plenty of videos online for that.
Community ForumPurchasing a TouchBistro license grants access to a VIP forum where you can look for advice from like-minded restaurant owners and entrepreneurs.
TouchBistro is a popular POS software for a number of reasons. There are 200 features that arrive out of the box with every package. They offer a simple, intuitive interface that actually helps run a restaurant rather than focusing on a single aspect of the process. Lastly, their support team is available 24/7/365 and offer fantastic support when you need it.